Kid Friendly Mac and Cheese Recipe
This kid friendly mac and cheese recipe is gonna have your kids screaming “I love this, Mom!”. Seriously, I remember the first night I made this recipe for dinner my kids were in love. Even my very picky eater enjoy every last bite! And what I love most of all is that I can also enjoy this recipe and stay on track with my healthy clean eating. Enjoy this recipe from the FIXATE cookbook. Please post your comments below if you love it too!
Recipe for Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli and Chicken
Serves: 8 (2 cups each) Prep Time: 20 minutes. Cooking Time: 17 minutes (make sure to keep a close watch and keep stirring)
4 ozs dry whole wheat macaroni noodles (or other favorite pasta)
4 tsp. organic grass-fed butter (or extra-virgin organic coconut oil)
2 Tbsp. unbleached whole wheat flour (I used almond meal and it worked great)
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 1/4 cups freshly grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (or any favorite grated cheese)
3 cups cooked chopped chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (you can also pick up precooked chicken in the meat section of Trader Joes for a quick cheat)
4 cups chopped broccoli florets, steamed
1 tsp. sea salt or Himalayan salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. (do not use salt or oil if suggested in directions) Set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute or until brown (don’t let it burn)
- Slowly whisk in almond milk; cook, whisking constantly, for 1-2 minutes, or until mixture thickens and there are no lumps.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; cook, whisking constantly, for 2-3 minutes or until melted.
- Add chicken, broccoli, salt and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until heated through.
- Serve immediately!