GAME DAY HEALTHY SNACKS
Hosting the neighborhood game day party? Or maybe you have been invited to a Super Bowl party and need to take a snack? But this year you are want snacks to keep you on track with your New Year’s resolution to eat healthier! After all, you don’t want to blow it the night of the big game! Well, look no further! I’ve got you covered dear friend!
Last year I tested out all these snacks below with my own family. I wanted recipes that would be a healthier version of our traditional Superbowl favorites and my kids would enjoy them too! After all, the Superbowl is more than just about football…it’s about the food and the commercials! LOL So here are my recommendations to make your Superbowl party a little healthier this year. I hope you enjoy both making and eating these recipes with family and friends. If you enjoy these recipes, please make sure to JOIN my monthly NEWSLETTER CLUB for recipes, motivational tips and other mom encouragement delivered directly to your inbox for some monthly LOVE and SUPPORT! And PLEASE share these recipes with your family and friends through social media and email because SHARING is CARING!
*all pictures and recipes are courtesy of the Beachbody Blog
SNACK #1~ SWEET POTATO SKINS WITH TURKEY BACON
Cooking Time: 10 min.
Yield: 4 servings
4 baked medium sweet potatoes, cut in half
1 tsp. olive oil
½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
8 Tbsp. low-fat plain Greek yogurt
2 slices cooked turkey bacon, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
8 green onions, thinly sliced
1. Heat oven to 400° F.
2. Scoop flesh out of sweet potatoes and reserve for another use.
3. Place skins on a baking sheet. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10 minutes, or until crisp.
4. Top each sweet potato half evenly with yogurt, turkey bacon, tomato, and green onions.
If you are doing using 21 day fix this recipe is: 1/2 GREEN, 1 YELLOW, 1/2 RED
SNACK #2~ALMOND CRUSTED CHICKEN TENDER BITES
Total Time: 35 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min.
Yield: 4 servings
2 Tbsp. raw honey
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
Nonstick cooking spray (or olive oil cooking spray)
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp. water
1 lb. raw chicken breast tenders, skinless
1 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
½ cup finely chopped sliced almonds
1 dash tsp. sea salt
1 dash tsp. ground black pepper
1. Combine honey, mustard, and vinegar in a small bowl; mix well. Chill.
2. Preheat oven to 425° F.
3. Line baking sheet with foil; lightly coat with spray.
4. Combine eggs and water in a medium shallow bowl; whisk to blend.
5. Soak chicken in egg mixture for 30 minutes, turning once; set aside.
6. Combine bread crumbs, almonds, salt, and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag; shake to combine.
7. Working with a few pieces at a time, lift chicken from egg mixture, letting excess drip back into bowl, and drop into bag containing bread crumb mixture. Seal bag and shake to coat; repeat with remaining chicken.
8.Place chicken on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes, until no longer pink in the middle and golden brown.
9. Serve with honey mustard dipping sauce.
If you are doing using 21 day fix this recipe is: 1 RED, 1 YELLOW
Snack #3~ Black Bean Salad
One of my favorite salads for cookouts, game time or any outside holiday get together is this black bean salad. In less than 10 minutes prep, you have a fresh healthy salad to share with the crowd. Delicious by itself or to use with whole grain tortilla chips.
CLICK ON PIC FOR RECIPE!
Snack #4~ Pita Pizzas
4 (6½-inch) whole wheat pitas
¾ cup all-natural spaghetti sauce, no salt added
2 fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese (½ cup)
¼ medium onion, sliced
1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced into rings
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Top pitas evenly with spaghetti sauce, basil, cheese, onion, and bell pepper.
3. Place pitas on baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is melted.