Chances are when you think of Memorial Day, July the 4th or Labor Day you think of fireworks, picnics, watermelon and ice cream! Or maybe if you are like me, you think of bbq’s or cookouts with friends complete with hamburgers, hotdogs, and all the trimmings which always seem to include cookies, pies or ice cream. (we love to eat at our house!) Celebrate America’s favorite summer holidays with some of the patriotic recipes below. They’re all easy to make and will make your partygoers ooh and ahh almost as much as they will over the fireworks!
Independence Day Fruit Tray
Watermelon and Blueberry Sparklers
Kids will love these — just make sure they don’t run with the sticks! These festive snacks are fun to make and you can toss the extra watermelon into a fruit salad of its own, like the Star Spangled one above!
Total Time: 15 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.Cooking Time: None
Yield: 10 servings, 1 sparkler each
½ medium seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into ½-inch (or 1-inch) thick slices
1 pint fresh blueberries
10 wooden skewers
1. Cut out twelve stars from the watermelon using a 3-inch star-shaped cookie cutter. Set aside
2. Place six blueberries on each skewer. Top each skewer with a watermelon star.
3. Serve immediately; or refrigerate, covered, until you are ready to serve
21 day fix users this would be 1/2 purple is 1 serving.
Patriotic Almond Butter and Berry Toast
This delicious almond butter, banana, and berry toast can be customized with your favorite berries (we used raspberries for the red stripes, but strawberries, red grapes, or plums would work too). A great patriotic snack or breakfast idea!
Total Time: 15 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: None
Yield: 1 slice
2 tsp. all-natural almond butter- I like Justin’s maple almond butter
1 slice whole grain bread, toasted- I like to use Ezekiel bread which you can find in your grocery’s freezer section.
11 fresh blueberries
12 fresh raspberries
¼ medium banana, cut in half lengthwise, cut into ½-inch slices
1. Spread almond butter evenly on toast.
2. To create a fruit flag, place five raspberries in a line parallel to the bottom of bread.
3. Place banana slices above raspberries.
4. Repeat with raspberries.
5. Place one banana slice on right side above raspberries.
6. Place two raspberries above banana slice.
7. Place one banana slice above raspberries.
8. Create a square of blueberries on the upper left corner. Serve.
21 day fix portions: 1 Yellow, 1 Purple, 2 tsp.
If you enjoyed these recipes and would like to receive future recipes and tips, JOIN MY NEWSLETTER CLUB. The Newsletter CLUB gives you exclusive access to all my BEST recipes, fitness tips, as well as support from other busy moms just like you!